How to gently remove these scabs and scales on the baby's scalp?
- It is common to see yellow or white scabs and scales of dead skin appear on the scalp of infants.
- But also children of 2 years or more.
- Even adults can get it right down to the eyebrows.
What is a crust of milk?
In the breast-fed infant:
- Babies who are breastfed develop infant acne in their first few weeks. This causes the appearance of dandruff on their head which is also called cradle cap.
- With breast milk, the baby absorbs a lot of male hormones (women also have male hormones) while they produce theirs. These hormones stimulate the sebaceous glands (such as during puberty). This excess sebum promotes the proliferation of a fungus (Malassezia Furfur) which triggers the formation of these scales.
- Normally these flakings disappear on their own within a few weeks. The infant's skin changes very quickly.
- If symptoms persist, do not hesitate to consult your pediatrician.
In bottle-fed infants:
- Normally there should not be this reaction due to male hormones as in the case when the baby is breastfed.
- If an infant who is fed formula powder also develops cradle cap, this is a reaction to the milk from the bottle. A rebranding should solve the problem. If in doubt, it is best to consult a pediatrician.
In children and adults:
- Scaling that looks like cradle cap may appear. This in children 2 years or older.
- Even adults can have a scalp that looks the same as cradle cap. Often they are localized around the eyebrows.
- This is most likely due to the fact that these children or adults do not know how to perfectly assimilate cow's milk as well as dairy products which are very rich in growth hormones. See our article on the subject: milk, friend or foe?
- If a child or adult has cradle cap thicker than dandruff. Even sticky scabs, the treatment below will not be enough. It is better in this kind of situation to treat this like eczema or psoriasis. (Click here to find out more)
How to remove cradle cap effectively?
Traditional Chinese Medicine classifies cradle cap in theEARTH element of the Law of 5 Elements. Just like the dandruff and other peeling of the skin.
And naturopathy teaches us that Propolis (a natural antibiotic created by bees) helps the skin to purify itself. For hundreds of years, Propolis has been used in balms and creams to remove cradle cap as well as dandruff.
The natural treatment to remove cradle cap:
Propolis Shampoo gently treat this little ailment
- For infants : Apply once or twice a day to the affected areas, massaging gently. Followed by a light intake of water to shampoo. The scabs disappear within a few days.
- Propolis Shampoo does not contain essential oils and can be applied to infants.
- For children and adults : To be applied to the affected areas without adding water. Massage the crusts and let sit for 7 minutes. Finish by adding water by lathering and rinsing.
- For adults and children: If the cradle cap persists, it is certainly eczema. In this case, the use of Dermo Purifying Peeling Gel is recommended.
Discover the testimonials on care against scabs, eczema, psoriasis ... here>
Read the product REVIEWS here>
To find out which hair care products are best for you, you can request a personalized prescription by filling out our "Hair Assessment" questionnaire:
>> I do my free hair diagnosis!
You have a question ?
Meeting on Frequently asked Questions
Need to contact us? by e-maiL>
Or call us at +33185089191
"This information is in no way intended to be a substitute for a medical consultation. We recommend that you see your doctor for a full medical diagnosis of your symptoms."